Ode to the One Dish Meal

Now that the weather is cooling down, it is a prime opportunity to use the dutch oven, crock pot, and soup kettle. I live vicariously through my grill during the summer and still plan on using the grill throughout the fall and winter season. Do not let anyone convince you that the grilling season is extinct in January! I have prepared many steaks, chops, and racks of ribs in temperatures plummeting into the teens.


On that note, I will be preparing several traditional one dish meal recipes such as soups and stews over the next few months that I will share with you all. The one pot dish is good for so many reasons. My favorite reason is that it cuts down on the amount of pots and pans you will need to clean up afterwards. One pot dishes are a great way to marry the flavors of meats, vegetables, and herbs all in one container. When I think of one pot dishes I like to prepare such fare as koprova (dilled pot roast), chicken and dumplings, pizza soup, chicken noodle soup, stuffed green pepper soup, paella, beef stroganoff, and several stews.

The simmering or slow cooker one pot dish has the amazing ability to make your kitchen and home smell divine while you get done on yard work or complete weekend errands. Don’t let the one pot dish go unaided without the assistance of some home baked bread. Get out the pizza stone, bread maker, or go the old fashioned route and mix, raise, knead, and bake. Make your home baked bread stand out by creating different butters or spreads with hints of honey or fresh herbs.

This my friends is awesome cold weather eats!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liver Dumpling Soup - Bohemian Style

London Broil With Bordelaise Sauce

Smažené žampióny: Czech Fried Mushrooms