Review of Lodge Six Quart Dutch Oven



We have learned how important the addition of a Dutch oven is to cooking. This is one of the few appliances that allow you to transfer a dish from stove top to oven all in the same cooking container. My wife received the Lodge 6 quart Dutch oven for her birthday last July and we have used it religiously ever since. I would be lying if I said this birthday gift only benefited the significant other. The cookware is ideal for stroganoffs, stews, soups and several rice dishes.


The Dutch oven we have is red (as shown in the picture). I believe the other available color is blue. As the exterior has a thick red enamel finish, the interior is a white enamel finish. Since using the Dutch oven for over three months, we have incurred a few tiny scratches of the enamel on the bottom which I am not too thrilled about. I am not sure why this is the case as we use wooden or plastic tools to avoid scratching the enamel.

This particular oven is large as the maximum volume is six quarts and the dimensions are 14 x 7 x 12. Beneath the enamel surface is the weighty cast iron base which makes the whole Dutch oven weigh in at about seventeen pounds. Even the lid is quite heavy. I am not put off by the weight as I am used to the enormous campfire Dutch oven we would use back in my Boy Scout days where we prepared stews and pineapple upside down cakes for the whole troop.

As this was a gift we did not initially know the price of the Lodge six quart Dutch oven. After walking down the Target aisles and doing some brief research online, I see the price ranges anywhere between about $50 through $65 depending upon where you shop. The higher prices are attributed to added in shipping and handling costs via the online retailers. Still this price is remarkably low compared to the higher end Le Creuset Dutch oven which retails above $200.

Overall my review of Lodge six quart Dutch oven is positive. Our family is thrilled to have this versatile appliance for preparing so many cool weather meals. I like the one pot or (Dutch oven) concept as less cookware is used to prepare the meal. Cleaning up this Dutch oven is fairly easy as I hand wash immediately after use with hot warm sudsy water and soft brush or cloth. The lodge Dutch oven claims to be dishwasher safe though I stick to hand washing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liver Dumpling Soup - Bohemian Style

London Broil With Bordelaise Sauce

Smažené žampióny: Czech Fried Mushrooms