Easy Pear & Blueberry Crisp Dessert

We were the lucky recipient of some surplus ripe pears courtesy of our neighbor. Their fruit trees have had an excellent yield which really surprises me given the drought hitting our state this summer. For the past few weeks I have noticed how their fruit trees have been very productive without much rain. They even inspired me to plant a Cortland apple tree a week ago. I am just depressed I have to wait a few years to get apples!
Anyhow we were gifted six pears of which I decided to make a dessert crisp this past Saturday. The crisp recipe is pretty standard but I decided to “pair” the pears up with some blueberries. Pears do not really stand out on their own when it comes to flavor as the fruit usually picks up whatever else is added. So I decided to mix in some berries to give the crisp a little more fruit filling and some definite flavor. The recipe is super easy to follow and yields enough crisp for about five people.
The photo above is obviously a “before” shot as this dish was being prepped. I did take a final photo of the crisp, but the photo came out blurry and the pixels were out of whack. I really think I need to upgrade my camera for better food photos! Anyway, give this dessert a try and don’t forget to make it ala mode.

Tip: After peeling and cutting pears, soak them in a small dish of water with a teaspoon or two of lemon juice to keep them from browning up.

Pear and Blueberry Crisp
6 ripened pears, peeled and sliced thin
1 cup blueberries
1 stick salted butter (do not soften)
¾ cup flour
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Method
1.       Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2.       Place fruit (pears and berries) into shallow baking dish or five individual baking dishes or ramekins.
3.       Using a pastry knife or two knifes, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and chilled butter until mixture becomes crumbly (or resembles bread crumbs).
4.       Sprinkle crumbs evenly over fruit mixture.
5.       Bake for one hour or until topping becomes golden brown.
6.       Cool enough until warm and serve with vanilla bean ice cream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Liver Dumpling Soup - Bohemian Style

London Broil With Bordelaise Sauce

Smažené žampióny: Czech Fried Mushrooms